Saturday, November 27, 2010

New Song


My songwriting goal was one a month when I started in September and I'm ahead of that -- three months, and at least six so far, four of which are recorded and up on SoundClick. After I've played this one through a few times, I'll take a stab at getting it down -- and since it's a seasonal thing, I need to get it done in the next couple of weeks.

Got what I think are some nice progressions, with slides -- a glissando chord here and there, done in D-major, enough minors to give it a bittersweet flavor,  and even a sharped-minor chord. Hubba hubba.

It’s Not Christmas
I
Hallowe’en but the lights are red and green, Santa Claus already on his wa-ay/ Every year it comes a little faster -- better get your presents wrapped by May.
II
Somewhere in the hype, the spirit it got buried, somewhere we lost sight of it al-ll/ Dig down through the tinsel and the Walmart gift cards and you really don’t need to shop the mall.
Chorus:

Put away your money, don’t load your credit card, we are only here for a little while/
Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year, and I hope you can be with those who make you smi-ile.
III
It’s not about the gifts and it’s not about the parties And it’s not about the turkey nor the tree/All the blessings of the season to the joy within your soul/ And remember all the best things are still free.
Chorus - then tag, from "Merry Christmas ..."

(Not a patch on Robert Earl Keen's "Merry Christmas from the Family," the hands-down best Christmas song ever -- it's a bit early, I'll post the video link here later, but if you want, you can see that here

Not a patch, but we all doin' what we can. Alors.)

No comments: