Thursday, November 11, 2010

Advice for Young Writers Who Want My Job


Okay, so I got another one today, a query from a young writer looking to get into doing shared-universe stuff. 


I know, I know, I said I wasn't gonna answer any more of those. I even put up a PayPal button -- you want an answer? Five bucks! 


I took that down after two days -- it just seemed, I dunno ... harsh. 


I was a newbie writer once. Back when we used chisels on stone.


But I really am going to stop answering these queries -- or at least, I'm not going to write it out every time.


To that end, this post, to which I will link in my sidebar list. 


If you are a newbie writer, there are a lot of things you need to know, and I can't begin to lay them out. However, if you are looking to get into writing for a shared-universe, if you want to write Aliens or Predators or Star Wars or Star Trek or any like that, here is the information I can impart to you about it:


Go here.


Or click here.


Or here


There are probably four or five other postings on my blog that address this, but they will just be repetitions of these. 


P.S. If you are somebody I don't know, I can't read your unsolicited material. It's a legal thing, not personal. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I took that down after two days -- it just seemed, I dunno ... harsh. "

Or you can go to Orycon and bug Steve in person. It's what I like to do, off and on for 30 years.

However, I can't quite figure out how to get my PDF of Curse the Darkness signed... (unlike that Tularemia thing...)

Ron

Steve Perry said...

Came with a cover illo, didn't it? Print that out, I'll sign it.