Monday, April 11, 2011

Boat Book


The POD proof for The Dreadnaught I ordered from Lulu got here, and I have to say, it looks better than I thought it would.


The cover design printed like I wanted, that fog-of-war look I did to haze the print and images. Dan's layout was good, the font we chose looks great, and, let's face it, there's something to be said about holding a thick, heavy, organic book in your hand, as opposed to reading it on a screen.


I don't expect to sell any copies of it–at twenty bucks a whack, less a penny, and four bucks for snailmail, it would be a miracle if it suddenly began to fly off the (non-existent) shelves at Lulu; still, it's kind of fun to know it can be done, and it will give me one more volume for the ego shelf in my office ...

2 comments:

Daniel Keys Moran said...

It looks good. I'm going to give them a shot next -- I got a suggestion that the inner margins needed to be wider -- does it look that way to you? The only copy I got off Lulu ("Freeway") looked OK, but I changed the layout after that.

Steve Perry said...

Because this one was so large and perfect-bound, the inner margins are tight. Not sure it would be the same on a thinner volume, but if you added a half-inch of white space on the margins, it probably wouldn't hurt.