Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Band Breaks Up

So, the jam sessions I've been attending weekly for the last six months, the NFUs (for No Fuck Ups) has ended.


It was a surprise, and a little sad.


Nothing acrimonious–the guy who has been hosting it at his house has too much on his plate–he's been asked to play harmonica for a group that is doing gigs, he's in another home-jam group, and it makes more sense for him to gear his playing to performing rather than jamming. I appreciate him having given us the opportunity and venue, and furnishing the beer (and pie afterwards, too.) 


Now that I've gotten a taste for being in a group, albeit one that isn't looking to go on the road, nor break into the local bar scene, I am thinking I'll have to find another one. Maybe host it at my house. 


Big wheel keeps on turnin' ...

3 comments:

steve vh said...

Craigslist baby, that's where I found mine. Going tonight.
We have a core group of 4 that comes pretty regular and then a few that shift in and out so any given night's selections may change. Bringing my son's 17yr old freind next week. Turns out he plays bassoon, tuba, drums, bass and rhythm. At 17...

So, advertise on craigslist. I feel pretty lucky I found a group exactly like what you're describing.
Or you may end up loitering at music stores.....

Steve Perry said...

I used to do JJ's version of "Same Old Blues," and "Cocaine." Haven't played either in a while.

Steve Perry said...

So I put up a note on Craig's list, just to see what was out there, and got a couple of nibbles. If i'm willing to put a session together, I'm pretty sure I can get enough players to make it fun.

And there's another closet musician group -- they call themselves the Closet Musicians -- that gets together not far from here that told me I was welcome to drop round, so I'll check them out.