Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Never A Shortage of Loons


Got a note from a silat guy who made a passing eyebrow-lifted observation about a well-known fellow in the field and his latest rantings. 


I tuned into the channel ...  and mostly just sat there shaking my head as I read. 


Holy Moley! He didn't really say that, did he? 


In the words of George Takei, "Oh, MY!"


There was a time, not long ago, I would have jumped into that discussion dancing with my hobnailed boots higgledy piggledy, hither and yon, for and aft, stomping every stupidity I could catch up with, knowing it was gonna take a while to manage it. 


But -- no. I wasn't tempted this time. What I learned is that when you are trying to have any kind of reasonable discussion with somebody who has fallen off his trolley head-down onto the hard cobblestones, you are wasting your time. If what somebody says today is radically different from what he said yesterday, and you can bet the farm different than what he is gonna say tomorrow? Reasonable debate is not, nor was it ever, in the cards. A person whose reality shifts from absolutely-positively-this-is-true on Tuesday to this-is-and-always-has-been-a-total-lie on Wednesday? There's a short in the wiring somewhere and you don't want to touch anything in that circuit 'cause you are gonna get zapped. 


War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength. The epitome of doublethink.


More and more, I find myself willing to lay back and let karma deal with such things. Yeah, it's slow, and sometimes you really want to hurry it along, but sooner or later, one tends to reap what one sows ...

1 comment:

Dan Gambiera said...

My Dad told me "Never stick it in the crazy." He wasn't just talking about girlfriends.