Saturday, October 16, 2010

Levels


My nephew and niece-in-law have come for a visit, here a few days. Yesterday we got out the guitars and played a bit. He's much better at it than I -- even though he's getting into the blues, he used to be a jazz guitarist, and that tells you something. (The old joke: A rock guitarist plays three chords for a thousand people; a jazz guitarist plays a thousand chords for three people.)

But he's not satisfied with where he is -- he wants to be Buddy Guy.

And don't we all? Musically, anyway ...

If I can keep the rhythm, however, he can do some nice solo lead over it, and it doesn't sound bad.

1 comment:

Shady_Grady said...

Speaking of Mr. Guy he is a favorite although I think over the past few decades he's gotten a little bit too into copying people who were copying him.

Anyway, I don't know if you and/or your nephew are interested or already knew of these releases but Guy did some albums for JSP in the late seventies , early eighties (Live at Checkerboard, Breaking Out, and DJ Play my Blues) which are very worthwhile and all very different from one another. Breaking Out reveals some Zappa influences of all people.

I think Guy has a new release coming out soon or at least I remember seeing an ad for it in the Living Blues mag.