Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blind Whitebread Perry


Had another session with the jam group. They play mostly blues and roots stuff, with some standards from the 20's and 30's and 40's. I introduced them to "Little Egypt," the 1950's Coasters version, and I'll bring along some stuff next time -- Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," the versions of "Stagolee" and "St. James Infirmary" that I know, and The Blind Boys of Alabama doing Tom Waits "Way Down in the Hole," those should fit in.


Last night, there was, in addition to the pianist, mandolinist, and guitar/harp player, a banjo picker and a singer who would have done tambourine, had we sung anything that needed one.


There's a washboard player who couldn't make it, but who usually shows up. I had fun, and as I had learned a couple of songs from the first session, actually was able to keep up in places ...


Yee-haw!

5 comments:

Shady_Grady said...

Are you a Ben Harper fan, Steve? His song "Suzie Blue" deliberately harkens back to the twenties.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jvpl9Y9gSo

And though he was more modern you can never go wrong with Pee Wee Crayton...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MIcM2xTog4&feature=related

Steve Perry said...

I hadn't heard of him before, but I'm a fan now. NIce sound.

steve-vh said...

still lacking a drummer.
It's not a party till the drummer falls over you know.

Rory said...

I'm partial to Danny O'Keefe's "Well,well,well" and you have the voice for it. Or Tom McRae's "Stronger than Dirt"

Steve Perry said...

"Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues" Danny O'Keefe? I can't keep up with him.

And maybe if the McRae song was "Older Than Dirt ... "