Friday, March 09, 2012

Memento Mori


Got a little check from the WGAw today, my part of foreign royalties on some of the animated stuff I wrote for back in the day. Typically these are tiny for each episode, but because I did a lot of 'em and because they just keep getting recycled somewhere in the world, these checks show up. There's a long list of episodes and markets, with each one worth like sixty-seven cents, a dollar and fifteen cents, nine cents–we aren't talking about buy-a-new-car money when you add it all up.


Still, it's free, and I'll take it. Well, except this time, I can't.


It seems that among the list of shows are The Real Ghostbusters, Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, and Silverhawks.

Thing is, while I did write a slew of animation for the tube back in the day, including most of the series listed, I never did any work for Silverhawks. 

It is an easy enough mistake to have made, because oddly enough, there was another Stephen Perry writing animation during the same period in which I was active. And while, as far as I know, he didn't write for any series except Silverhawks and Thundercats, he did work on those, and so those monies should go to him.

Unfortunately, that isn't possible; that Steve Perry, who was a resident of Zephyrhills, Florida, was, just about two years ago, murdered, and his body dismembered and scattered. 

I wrote about it when it happened, here. Got a few comments from people who were surprised to still see me on Facebook, given that I'd been murdered and all, and I managed to get the wiki straightened out, but here comes money due a dead man. Less than a hundred bucks, but maybe his family could use it, and it's not mine. 

So I sent the WGAw a note and told them, and I expect they'll re-cut me a new check and see if they can track down where the rest of it is supposed to go.

No comments: