Sunday, March 18, 2012

Did I Mention I Hate Doing My Income Taxes?


Well, I do. And I don't even prepare my tax form, my accountant does that. But it takes all day, and sometimes two days, to gather all the shit together, to collate and separate and cogitate upon all the receipts and get 'em shoehorned into a questionnaire my tax guy uses to make sure the feds get their proper due. 


Right. As if "feds" and "proper" belong in the same sentence when it comes to skinning the public ...


I don't mind paying my fair share, but I have to say, I'd be a lot happier if they just cut out ten thousand pages of legal and mathematical detritus from the code and took a flat percentage. I expect I'd pay less, and there would be ever so much less hassle to get this done every year. Here, you made this much so write us a check for 15% and we're good.


I don't mind if the poor folks get a break. I'd just as soon the guys who make millions don't get a better break than I and the poor folks do. I mean, really, come on. If you can't hit us with a flat tax, I'm all for the Buffett Amendment. Is that class warfare? Fine, I'm good with the notion that the rich have to pay as much as the rest of us. That's not communism, that's only fair ...

No comments: