Sunday, April 08, 2012

Knife Progress - Getting Closer to Completion

A few more images, staring with the epoxy and finish to the guard–epoxy used to set stuff for sanding, then progressing to final sanding on the handle, which is, Chuck says, 99% done. (The blade is kept taped to prevent scratches, but here's a preview because the tape got removed from some splash on the guard that needed to be cleaned up.)


I'm biased, of course, but I think this knife is drop-dead gorgeous, and you will see somebody wielding it in a forthcoming novel. (I tend to do that for my knifemaker buddies who supply me with such outstanding steel.)







5 comments:

Turk said...

Ohhh....that's a nice looking piece. good simple shape, plenty of grip, solid. Looks as if it will serve damned well!!!

Captain Tightpants said...

Turning out quite nicely. Not my style (not claiming superiority, just what I prefer/use myself) - but it definitely has some great traits. I look forward to seeing the end result sir.

heina said...

Beautiful work! Really suits you.

Steve Perry said...

I think knives are just like any other tool, you use one suited to the task. I've got a few, and they range from kerambit to tanto-points; short, medium, long.

I do have a fondness for short, fat blades, and the handle design was one I wanted to try.

A 1911-pattern pistol is fine for a lot of things, but it doesn't lend itself to fancy twirls and spins the way a peacemaker design does, nor it is a tackdriver like a bolt action or closed breech.

Steve Perry said...

The scale is hard to see in the pictures -- that blade is only three inches or so long, and the handle about five inches (my palm is about four inches wide.)

So it's a small knife, not much handle will be jutting from my grip. I wasn't looking for a broadsword ...


Have a look:

http://themanwhonevermissed.blogspot.com/2011/11/youre-gonna-love-this-part.html