Tuesday, September 15, 2009

More Fun Than a Barrel of Monkeys


So, after a couple years of back and forth on the web, and a time or two of sitting down over coffee, I finally had a chance to play with Rory Miller, hands-on.

I know I've said it before, but I can now say it from a more personal experience: He's the real deal.

"Show me something," I said. So he laid out a simple, slow, single-step attack and defense drill.

Harder than it looked.

Then we played a little with me blindfolded.

Also harder than it looked.

And some stuff that started with him behind me and already grappling.

Um, did I say this already? Harder than it looked ... ?

Then, tired old guy that I am, I ran out of steam ...

Nothing spectacular in this -- no flying this or twirling that -- but Rory has a focused skill set. Me, I was doing okay until I started thinking too much, and as we all know in this kind of action, if you think, you stink. Every time I went down that road, I lost my own focus. A good lesson to remember: Don't go down that road ...

The dogs barked at us because we were dancing on the patio and that added a little distraction to the drills. And we weren't thumping each other hard -- though I have found a couple of sore spots I didn't notice at the time -- when did that happen? How did it happen?

This was great fun. He wasn't trying to show me any new techniques, or things that wouldn't work with what I already had, just pointing out avenues I might consider, and ways to develop sensitivity that didn't rely entirely on seeing what was going on.

It wasn't about winning or looking good, though my ego certainly wants to go there, but about being open to what is happening in the moment, and from a guy who has done it for real more times than he can remember.

Good stuff.

Thanks, Rory.

6 comments:

Jay said...

sounds like a good time!

Anonymous said...

It wasn't about winning or looking good, though my ego certainly wants to go there, but about being open to what is happening in the moment, and from a guy who has done it for real more times than he can remember.


Well good for you guys.
It's always nice to get with a good friend and have a light sparring session, just to exercise the mind and body.
You are a very humble person, and I'm sure you learned alot from this experience with him, but I'm sure he also learned alot from you in the process.

I have a friend who is a black-belt in Sanchin Ryu Karate, and when we spar he kicks my ass sometimes.
Granted, I'm only a Green-sash in Lau Gar, but sometimes I get the upper hand on him too.

Even so, it's fun to test your skills and theories, and really, it's all in good fun.
Martial arts are about the spirit of growth and humility, not who is better or ego.

~

So your experience seems inspiring to me.

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Steve Perry said...

Um, well, I'm not particularly humble, though I appreciate the thought.

And I suspect Rory didn't learn a whole lot from me, other than how loud my dogs can be ...

We had fine ole time, though.

Terry said...

Very cool!!!
Rory sounds like a good man to train with.

AF1 said...

I knew silat didn't work! ;)

Only kidding, Steve.

It sounds like Rory has some interesting training idea. Would love to train with him some day.

Steve Perry said...

Got out of my comfort zone for sure, which was the intent.

One-move attacks/defenses in slo-mo take away most of your tools.

Putting on a blindfold -- rolled-up T-shirt -- really makes you realize how much you depend on your vision, even soft-focus.

Staring out in a rear naked choke or bear hug and being allowed one move only makes you think. And thinking is bad, so you have to get past that.

Going at somebody hammer and tongs and full-force gets you, them, or both of you hurt -- Rory has spoken to this in his blog a time or two and so have I. Break your toys, you don't get to play with them. So you stop things way down and limit your options.

Once you get used to a drill, your flow improves. First time doing something you've never done before keeps bringing the monkey brain back online and that's what you are trying to learn how to avoid.

It was good stuff, barking dogs and all ...