Tuesday, March 17, 2009

And Cut ... That's a Wrap, People!

Did my second and final session with the photographer for the calendar shoot today. The overall project is supposed to be done by May, and on sale some time in the summer, for 2010. I've seen the rough images for about half of the models -- we none of us are going to be stepping onto the Mr. or Ms. Olympia stage based on our physical perfection -- but the photographer has done a great job thus far.

Tougher than it looks, being a male model. I had to stand there in a dynamic pose for a couple minutes at a time while the photographer shot. Naturally, the stance he liked the most was the most awkward to hold. Been too long since my kendo class, I don't remember the name, but the basic postion is both hands held overhead and to the side, right hand in front, left to the rear, and the edge -- if it had been a real sword -- up, point angled slightly down. Looks kind of like doing a twisted chin-up, one hand palm facing away, the other palm facing toward me.

This was complicated because I had to use a left lead to position my leg to maintain modesty and our PG-rating. Back heel was up, and I was lower and wider than a normal upright kendo stance. Plus I had to torque slightly, make sure my head was framed between my arms, and get a facial profile while not showing anything else that wasn't supposed to show. Yoga was helpful here, and this was in no way a legitimate sword fighting position ...

Then I'd relax, he'd move the lights, change the angle or filters on them, we'd re-set, and do it again. Did this eight or ten times, six or eight shots each time. Electronic camera onto a flashmem card and into the computer where eventually one will be selected and then subjected to the wonders of Photoshop™. Gonna have a big shiny moon, an alien landscape, and the monster the photographer came up with is perfect -- horned and fire-breathing with many sharp teeth ...

I ran into Larry Brooks at the writing seminar in Eugene -- another of the calendar boys -- and we laughed about the whole notion. His session was in the Pacific Ocean surf, and mine was in a heated studio, with a nice robe to put on between set-ups. I came out way ahead on that deal.

This is all to benefit the Oregon Writers Colony , a house on the coast wherein writers can go and work in a quiet environment, and an organization that does good things for writers in general, with workshops, seminars, and other literary events. (You'll notice if you go and visit Bobbe's blog that even he has a link to their main site -- though he might take it down now that he knows.)

I'll put up a link to the calendar when it becomes available.

I know. You can hardly wait ...

3 comments:

steve-vh said...

Especially can't wait for the "big shiny moon".

Steve Perry said...

I thought sure that Bobbe would say that one first.
Point for the guy from Michigan ...

steve-vh said...

Yeah, I figured it was almost too easy. I'm not THAT clever.