Friday, October 17, 2008

Look! Up in the Sky! It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's ...


Superman vs. Hollywood: How Fiendish Producers, Devious Directors, and Warring Writers Grounded an American Icon.

This book, by Jake Rossen, details the adventures of the man of steel in LaLaLand, i.e., upon the silver screen, the tube, and radio, along with some interesting tidbits from the comic books and even the internet.

According to Harlan Ellison, there are five characters that resonate across the world:
Mickey Mouse, Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, and Superman. Growing up, the choice was to tie a towel around my neck and leap off the roof, or climb high up in the willow tree and do the yell. I did both ...

If you are a fan of Supe, you will enjoy this work, and I expect, you will learn something you didn't know -- I've been reading and watching Supe/Clark/Kal-el for more than fifty years, and I can recite the opening of the TV show starring George Reeves verbatim (dramatically, too) and there is a slew of stuff here I never knew.

Check it out.

No comments: