Friday, September 14, 2012

Progress in the Yard




My wife got the first plants into the first box out back today, along with a whole buncha dirt, leaves, steer manure, and like that.

I carved some more on the juniper out front. Gotten about two-thirds of the way through. Wore out a pair of leather gloves–you can see the duct-tape patches on a couple fingers. Last of a set of three pair I got at Costco, like ten years ago. I'll have to get some more.

I had been wearing shorts and a T-shirt to do this work. Today, I opted for long sleeves and old blue jeans. No man-up here, just sissy-down ...

Broke in my new Felco clippers. The little red-handled ones, you can see them there, under the gloves. They came sharp enough to shave with. Made in Switzerland. The instructions on how to take them apart and put in new blades are written in twelve languages, including Arabic, Japanese, and Russian. High-end tools, these; I've never owned a pair of clippers that changing the blade was possible before now, I'd just get out the files and sharpen them.

Click on the second image, you can get a pretty good idea of what it looks like. It's gettin' there ...

No comments: