Tuesday, July 06, 2021

Who Knows What Evil Lurks in the Hearts of Men …?

 


A thread about this on a friend’s page. Rather than inflict it on his feed, I will offer a link here.


I can remember hearing The Shadow on the radio as a child, before we got a TV in the early 1950s, and I have fuzzy, but fond, memories of that.


Didn’t discover the books until twenty-years later, liked those, too.


My problems with the 1994 Baldwin Shadow movie were chiefly two: Looked good, but they didn’t play it straight, instead went for camp — all those winks at the audience killed it for me.


The second is personal, having to do with a time when I was collaborating on a comic book movie script that went into turnaround. The would-be director of that script had done a movie I loved, Highlander, but also did The Shadow. In a studio meeting, said director said something my collaborator and I thought so inane it lowered my opinion of him somewhat.


Collaborator and I looked at each other.


He didn‘t just say that, did he? Really?


Had the movie gone forward, I could foresee problems …

 

If ever I write my autobiography, what the director said will be the subtitle of the section on my adventures in LaLaLand.

 

Welcome to Hollywood, dudes …

No comments: