Saturday, October 29, 2011

Something to Work Upon




I'm still jamming with the Closet Musicians, and while that is fun, most of what we play is not technically difficult, even for me; a lot of three-chord rock, folk, or blues. The harmonies and timing are where I stretch, but the guitar? Not so much.


So I've been working on that at home, trying to keep my fingerstyle repertoire, and venturing into lead with pentatonic scales. And to that end, I figured I'd challenge myself with stuff that is a bit beyond my reach.


Or, in this case, waaay beyond my reach. Like Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits doing "The Sultans of Swing."


I won't be going up to the fifteenth fret to make it cry and sing on my twelve-frets-to-the-bout classical. Nor will I be able to bend a high note up a full step, but I might be able to pick out some stuff closer to first position. Be interesting to try.


I'll let you know how it goes. In a year or two ...

No comments: