Saturday, September 13, 2008

See the Resemblance?



Okay, I had put this in the lettercol under an earlier post on Palin, but I think it needs a front row ...

There's always the possibility that things are different than I think, I surely do have to consider that. But, you know, I pay attention. I get my news from the left, the right, and the center. I am married to a woman who has worked in government for decades, and who knows all about lobbying because she did that for a living for years.

I've been to the capitol in the capital. I've talked to the Governor, the legislators, I have a basic grasp of civics.

Whatever Palin says in a TV interview, she won't look any better to me. She's not telling the same stories she used to tell. A is not non-A.

What I think is that John McCain is a cranky, ill-tempered old man who deserves respect for his suffering in Vietnam as a prisoner of war. That isn't enough to overcome his longtime senatorial support of George W. Bush's policies -- not in my mind. Arguing with your party 5% of the time does not a maverick make.

The Republican Administration has taken us into the pasture and we have cow pie all over our shoes and are heading for the swamp in the lower forty.

Huge debt, stupid war, teetering on the brink of a major recession, if not a depression. Tax breaks for oil companies who are making record profits in the billions.

Civil rights in the toilet, constitution ignored, big brother is watching us, torturing prisoners is okay, as is sticking them into a cell for life without any recourse. What prestige we had in the word is wounded almost to death. It doesn't feel like a Democracy, it feels like he Emperor and Darth Vader have been running things. Luke -- where are you when we need you?

What part of this society do you like? Explain it to me, for I truly don't understand. You feel safer than you did before 9/11? I don't.

McCain wants to stay the course. He has a Donald Duck temper -- fact -- has been known to curse loudly in public at colleagues, underlings, and his wife, and is mired in the past. Just the guy I want with his finger on the Doomsday button.

What he did forty years ago in Vietnam has nothing to do with running the USA today. Looking over your shoulder all the time, you smack into walls in front of you.

Stay the course? The course sucks. Get off it. Look for a better road than the one to ruin we are on.

I think that Sarah Palin is an intellectual lightweight and to the right of Atilla the Hun. She is against abortion for victims of rape or incest; she is for teaching Creationism next to Evolution as science. Doesn't like "graphic" sex ed -- by which I guess she means pictures of ta-tas and hoo-hoos. She by now knows that abstinence doesn't work unless you abstain. What she did to her daughter is vile.

She thinks that God is on our side against Iraq, and she has demonstrated absolutely no skills or abilities that qualify her as somebody a heartbeat away from the Presidency. None. Zip. Zero. From what I have heard, she is small-minded, vindictive, and absolutely unversed in foreign policy to the extent that she doesn't know the driving force behind her party's current President.

Yeah, I could be wrong. But I don't think so.

Is Obama the be-all, end-all? No. But with McCain/Palin, you get the Devil *and* the deep blue sea. We already know how that goes -- look around.

Look around. Happy with you see? I'm not. I'd vote for a yellow dog before I cast my ballot for McCain/Palin, and know that the dog wouldn't screw up the country any worse than it is now.

That's where I am. Any discussion we have about this starts here.

4 comments:

abalonestar said...

What you said. I couldn't say it better, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

The city of Wassila, when Sarah Palin was mayor, made rape victims pay for their own rape kits. That's a thousand bucks.

Stephen Grey said...

"The city of Wassila, when Sarah Palin was mayor, made rape victims pay for their own rape kits. That's a thousand bucks."

This reminds me of the custom, in Orwell's 1984, of billing families for the torture and execution of their relatives.

If Palin gets in there we can expect to see plenty more of this.

It's even conceivable that Mccain will step down "to spend more time with his family," leaving Palin and some other Dominionist candidate.

Make no mistake, evangelicals are the American Taliban. If you don't support the Taliban, don't support the evangelical-owned GOP, because they are the same thing.

Stephen Grey said...

Oh, and WHY wouldn't she fund rape kits? Was she just tight-fisted?

No.

She refused to fund them because they contain EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/17/175430/636/888/601186